Friday, September 1, 2017

Six Questions for Kae Sable, Managing Editor, Dime Show Review

Dime Show Review publishes fiction to 3,000 words, flash fiction to 1,000 words, ten word stories, essays to 3,000 words and poetry in any form.  Grab an ice cream cone and dive in! You could win a goldfish.

(ceased publication)

SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

Kae Sable: Dime Show Review came from a dream after a very rare mid-afternoon nap. When I woke, the concept was fully formed.

I've always been an elbow-pipe person, a connector, and DSR enables me to connect good writing with the world, including online, audio, and in print. I'm also serious book person. I have been making books since I was a kid. Selecting the best work for the print publication is a thrill for me. Knowing each volume of Dime Show Review is registered with The Library of Congress is an important part of this work; it's making sure that these stories and poems will outlive us. Isn't that part of why we share what we write? To go beyond ourselves?

Dime Show Review is a passion project. Making someone else's dreams come true is a worthwhile satisfaction strategy. I love this work.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

KS:

  1. I enjoy thoughtful work that makes me need to read it twice or more. I want to hear the author's intention. I don't want to poke through a well-crafted façade. 
  2. Polished work. Fragmented work leaves me wishing the author spent more time or cared enough to ensure the poem or story is complete. I want to feel satisfied when I've finished reading, not wondering what's in the next installment.
  3. I love to laugh! I also want to be curious about a piece that takes me, as a reader, out of myself and into a new perspective.

SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

KS: I'm disappointed most often by draft quality work. And, surprisingly, some well written stories are just plain boring. Haughtiness is a turn-off as is pointlessly erotic work or self pity. Lists in a poem do not interest me. It's surprising how frequently cliches are used; always a drag. Be alive! Bring work that is full and rich whether it's a ten word story or a poem. Make it work, don't limp along.

I cringe when folks refer to Dime Store Review rather than Dime Show Review, but most of the time, I overlook it. Sometimes, the brain fills in the blanks.


SQF: What magazines/zines do you read on a "regular" basis?

Brain Pickings
The New Yorker
The Sun
Zyzzyva
On Being


SQF: If Dime Show Review had a theme song, what would it be and why?

RS: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers. I love this song! It's a song of dedication and partnership. It's how I see Dime Show Review's connection with the world - a partnership.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

RS: How about, What's next for Dime Show Review? Glad you asked, there are some incredible goodies in the works! I'm exploring the letterpress world and hope to be able to offer broadsides to our poets. Additionally, I'm working toward a few copies of fine leather binding for Dime Show Review in print. I also expect our audio capability to expand. We're leaning deeper into the fine art forms of poetry and literature; work meant to last with books and poetry that are tactile and meant for hands as well as eyes and ears.

Thank you, Kae. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this interview of such an accomplished local Sacramento area writer and publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So overjoyed to see you this morning in CBS
    Sunday Morning after meeting and seeing your exhibit at Mills Station Art and Culture Center

    ReplyDelete